As a mother and a teacher, I have come to recognize that communicating clear expectations produces the best results. Sometimes my goals are very clear in my mind, and other times, I need a little help determining what I am setting out to achieve.
The keys to achieving your dreams are to know what you want and to take action. Today’s post will cover the reasons you should set goals (it’s more than you think!) and the steps you can take to achieve them.
Why You Should Be a Dreamer
How You’ll Benefit
- Optimism. With goal-setting comes a positive outlook. You have a vision of what you are out to achieve and know that it is within reach. You recognize set-backs as part of the learning process. Remember, every success story includes obstacles that must be overcome.
- Motivation. Once you recognize that your goals are attainable, you will want to set out to achieve them. You have now established a purpose and will be driven to reach it. Every action that you take, from this day forward will bring you closer to that goal. Remember, when we plant seeds, we expect them to grow.
- Self-esteem. Watching yourself and others around you succeed will bring you a sense of accomplishment. Success breeds success. Continue to support others and you will find a sense of fulfillment and a better self-image as well.
Benefits For Others
Not everyone sets high expectations for themselves. Help others establish goals and provide support, so that you can all reap the benefits.
- They will obtain a sense of direction. When you help others to set goals, they change their approach in accomplishing the task at hand. They know they have a certain quality of work to produce and even a time frame in which to achieve it. Once you raise the bar, they will jump to reach it.
- They will gain a mentor. Once you communicate an expectation, you establish yourself as an authority figure. Many people need direction to accomplish a task, and will turn to you for guidance and praise. The best way to support them is to model the task, suggest appropriate steps, and offer words of encouragement. Be sure to praise their efforts on a job well done!
Now that you know the benefits of establishing goals, take these steps to make dreams attainable, both for yourself and those around you.
How to Make Your Dreams Reality
1. Visualize your dream.
What do you want to accomplish? Is this a short-term goal or a long-term goal? Typically, visualizing your goals helps you recognize the benefits of reaching them. Why do you want to reach these goals? What it will look like once you’ve attained your goals? This visualization process makes your goals real in your own mind.
2. Record your goals.
That’s right: write them down. The process of recording your goals makes them stick. If you write your goals in a journal, or on a sticky note that you can keep in full view, you will have as a constant reminder of what you want to accomplish. This practice will motivate you to take actions that will bring you closer to achieving them.
3. Backwards plan.
Now that you have determined what your goals are, you must figure out how to get there. What plan of action will help you reach these goals? Create a list of ten actionable steps that will bring your goal closer to fruition. At least 2 of them should be steps you can take today to get yourself started.
Take the time to determine what has worked and what hasn’t. This allows you to focus your time on efforts that have the best pay out. Enlist a trusted friend to be a sounding board. Remember, sometimes an outsider has a more objective view than those directly involved.
Things to do RIGHT NOW:
- Leave me a comment. Let me know about your goals and one step you can take today to achieve them. I’d love to hear from you!
- Pin this post and follow me on Pinterest.
- Subscribe to join our tribe. Receive new posts like this one in your inbox each week.