Feeling negative, unproductive, and limited is incredibly draining. Thankfully, a few simple tweaks to your mindset can have astounding benefits.
Today, I’d like to share some of the benefits of appreciating others for who they are and what they are capable of. I think you’ll be surprised at how much a dose of appreciation can do!
6 benefits of an appreciative mindset
Appreciating others encourages you to:
Establish a positive lifestyle.
- Feel connected to those around you. Recognizing the good in others shifts your perspective. Instead of the every-day focus on yourself, you will appreciate the beauty and talents of those around you. This will naturally bring you closer to them.
- Spark communication. There is a certain comfort that comes when people take interest in you. Notice the change in body language when you shift the conversation and show interest in the other person. Shoulders will drop, smiles will emerge, conversation will become easier.
- Have an optimistic mindset. Acknowledging the good in others takes practice, but it will bring an entirely new mindset. The glass will become half full and you will begin to radiate positivity.
- Smile more. This is a direct result of optimism. Bonus fact: smiles are contagious!
Rid yourself of the negative!
- Worry less, trust more. When you recognize that there is good all around you, concerns begin to dissipate. You will recognize that things will work out for the best—even if it is not immediately obvious!
- Judge less: yourself & others. Judgement and envy are poisonous. When you appreciate others for what they are, you will become less concerned with what they are not. This is incredibly valuable to your well-being!
Keys to developing an appreciative mindset
- Take time for yourself. When you are overworked, you do not have the proper frame of mind to acknowledge the positive. See my recent post on taking a Mommy time-out for self-care strategies that really pay off.
- Allow yourself time to adjust. It takes time for mindsets to shift. Take a few minutes each day to change yours for the better. Begin each morning with deep breathing, meditation, reflection and affirmations to start your day with a positive mindset. This will set the foundation for you to find the good around you.
- Do not have expectations of reciprocation. It is important that you shift your focus to the good you can do for others, and the wonders that surround you, rather than hoping that others will follow your lead. They may, in turn, feel encouraged to take on the appreciative mindset, but it is not your purpose to change them.
Take action today!
Reap the benefits of an appreciative mindset just by asking yourself: What is one thing I can do right now to show my appreciation for others? Then, let me know your plan in the comments below! I’d love to hear from you!
Don’t forget to pin this post and share it with a friend who could use it!