With the new year upon us, I’ve been reflecting on ways to take better care of myself. If you read my New Year’s Resolutions post, you probably noticed that my focus this year is on self-improvement.
Growth is a process, and it sometimes happens without recognition, but if we really want to have a better outlook, we need to make a conscious effort.
One way I want to grow and improve is by taking better care of myself. Today, I’m sharing inspiration for making this year a healthier one.
- Drink more water. Ok, simple right? Not for me. I went back to drinking coffee this year, after a 5 year hiatus, and that has now occupied several fluid ounces of my daily intake. We all know that water does wonders for the body. I just need to make a conscious effort to take some more in over the course of the day.
- Be active. One of my new year’s resolutions is to place more emphasis on fitness and leading an active lifestyle. At a recent checkup, my doctor asked me how often I workout. I proudly shared that I do hot yoga once a week, thinking this is such an improvement from the NOTHING I was doing last year! He courteously smiled, emphasized the importance of cardio, and suggested that I do at least 45 minutes, 3x a week. Well, let’s just say that I’m still working on this one, but it helps that my 5 year old really likes doing yoga with me in the living room!
- Take time to read for pleasure. I’m a reading junkie. The irony is that I rarely pick up a book for pleasure these days. I read articles, most of which focus on education, blogging, photography, technology, child development, and health/wellness. Very rarely do I have a chance to read fiction. While I enjoy keeping up to date on my career and parenting advice, I recognize the need for creative inspiration. All work and no play makes Francesca a dull girl.
- Set boundaries. This is a tough one. While I don’t mind telling people how I feel, I rarely share when I’m overextended. I take pride in the fact that I can take on more than most, but that also leaves me feeling physically depleted. I love the rush of the accomplishment, but dislike the drain of the result. This year I plan to set clearer boundaries and expectations for what I want and need.
- Be mindful. Mindfulness has become a serious buzzword as of late, and for good reason. We live in a time of hustle and bustle: technology that keeps us ever connected, instant gratification at every turn, and multitasking that gets us where we need to be. Unfortunately, the amount of time we spend being PRESENT is so limited. How many of us eat in front of the television or while browsing on our phones? We don’t even think about how our food tastes because we are so wrapped up in the other stimuli around us. This year I want to be more conscious of my experiences and feelings. These are the moments that make our lives full.
Shop the post
I hope that by sharing these 5 methods, I can give you some inspiration for ways to put yourself first. As busy as we are, we can’t take care of others if we don’t take care of ourselves. Take a few moments each day to do something good for you.
What boundaries or goals do you set to take good care of yourself? Share in the discussion by leaving me a comment below. It’s so wonderful getting to know you!
Thanks for stopping by!
PS: Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE for weekly email updates sent straight to your inbox!